Saturday, January 07, 2006

Eat Right & Live Healthy

Our society nowadays is increasingly concern about health issues. Gym rooms and fitness centers are growing like mushrooms everywhere. But does exercise alone help us to be fit and healthy? How much do we know about our food? Being a ‘food lover’ myself, I used to pay less attention to what goes into my mouth until my late father was in comma for 2 weeks in 2003 due to heart attack, renal failure, stroke and diabetic. He once said….. “biar mati makan, jangan mati tak makan.” Yup, he was a food lover just like me but I guess, he lost control over his eating habit.

Besides these diseases, cancer is also becoming a common health problem. Not only can it be fatal sometimes, but modern medication has never been able to find a cure for it. Again, how much do we know about cancer and what do we do to prevent from getting it?

Since ‘eating’ is part of our lives, nothing much can be done about this… I mean, we HAVE to eat in order to live anyway (but not LIVE to EAT eh!). However, we can always take preventive measures by ensuring that we only eat good food (so guys, say bye bye to junks!).

Have you heard about antioxidants? Antioxidants interact with and stabilize free radicals – free radicals are found in our environment like pollutants, smoke, chemicals which have been linked to the causes of cancer, arthritis, heart diseases. Therefore, stabilizing free radicals will prevent damages (not totally, though) to our body cells. In short, antioxidants are important and there are hundreds of antioxidants available from various plants and vegetables (of course I wouldn’t know every single one of them).

According to doctors, based on considerable laboratory evidence, antioxidants may slow or possibly prevent the development of cancer. Antioxidants can be found in fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains and some other sources. Below are some of the common sources of antioxidants:

  1. Foods that are orange in color, like sweet potatoes, carrots, apricots, pumpkins, papayas ;
  2. Green leafy vegetables like spinach;
  3. Fruits like watermelon, guava, pink grapefuits, mangoes and citrus fuits;
  4. Plant foods like rice (woo hoo!!!!) and wheat;
  5. Liver, milk and egg yolks;
  6. Vegetables like red pepper, broccoli and cabbage, tomatoes;
  7. Vegetable oil like soybean and corn oil;
  8. Nuts like almonds, brazil nut and barley.

Now that you know what's good for you... no more excuses eh!!!! Have fun eating! I know I always do!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting blog....

-nad
http://nads555.blogdrive.com

NAH said...

Dear Nad,

TQ for visiting. Do drop in & hooefully we can xchange ideas on how to make our lives more meaningful.

Leilanie said...

But I like junk food....... :(
My latest past-time junk food is kuaci (you know....... the one wrapped in brown paper bag, with a touch of red or green).
yum yum

But true...... fresh and unpreserved food is a must to lead a healthy and fulfilling life.

Anonymous said...

nah, yeah sure...already added this blog to my favourite list :)

NAH said...

Hi Lanie,

Hehehe...kuaci is very tiring lah to eat. I'm a lazybone. My junks are those like ice creams, keropok and nuggets (hhmmm...they really make my day!)

eyna said...

Hi ladies..

Now I'm really into healthy food. Bukan apa... kalau I sakit, kesian kat my kids.

Zura, thanks for your advice on the vitamins. I feel much energetic than I cud ever remember.